- The new iPhone 6 models ? For sure.
- iOS 8 released very soon ? Of course.
- But what else might be coming from Apple ?
- What areas are ripe for some major game changing disruption ?
The Annual Sept iPhone Event
- Sept 9, Tue at 10am PT – Apple’s Event. It will be broadcast live on Apple’s web site.
- Sept 11 or 12 – iPhones available for pre-order online.
- Sept 19, Fri – iPhone shipments arrive for online order customers and available for purchase in stores.
- Sept 17, Wed – iOS 8 released to public.
- Sept 9, Tue – iOS 8 Gold to developers.
iPhone What ?
|iPhone 6 Models|
But There’s One More Thing…
What’s the Next Big Thing ?
This opens up the possibilities and market dramatically, removes any feature advantage that other wearable products offer, yet still drives people towards Apple products. It’s a bold move, and it’s an un-Apple like thing to do, so it’s a long shot, but there are some signs that point towards these types of paradigm shifts being possible.
- Wearable devices are very fashion sensitive, so having a platform that other watch makers for example, can build for, expands the possible customers that will invest in Apple’s ecosystem.
- HealthKit in iOS 8 provides a way for third party devices and apps to tap in to, what might be positioned as this kind of platform.
- Sensor tech is advancing very quickly, and with Apple and other competitors making a play in the health tech space, innovation will accelerate dramatically.
- More functional and open platforms will have an advantage in keeping up and innovating.
- Apple decided to keep supporting Android and Windows Phone with Beats Music. Why not extend other parts of the Apple ecosystem ?
NFC and Mobile Payments
New Apple TV ?
New Mac Tech ?
This might not happen until 2015 after the new Intel processors ship – see Processor Leaps to Drive Tech Innovations in 2015. But I do think that there is a game changing opportunity here too.