Some quick tips on learning and using Estimation Poker to estimating. Also known as Planning Poker.
Written in 2016-2017:
This is part of a series of articles that I originally wrote in 2016-2017 and were only published on private internal company wikis. I am publishing them publicly for the first time in 2019, here on my blog.
When to Use Estimation Poker:
Use Estimation Poker when:
- New work items are created or added to your Backlog.
- The Scrum team wants to re-estimate a work item.
References for Estimation Poker or Planning Poker:
- Mobile app for Estimation Poker cards:
- Use the free Platinum Edge Estimation Poker app – see https://platinumedge.com/store/estimation-poker-cards-app
- iOS: Search Apple App Store for Platinum Edge
- Android: Search Google Play Store for Platinum Edge
- Virtual / long distance distributed teams:
- Try a web based app like PlanningPoker.com – Estimates Made Easy. Sprints Made Simple.
- Read the – Chapter 8: Planning Releases and Sprints, section Estimation poker.
- Certified Scrum Master (CSM) class slides 54 – 62